By Blake Evans
If you offer content as an RSS feed, you want people not only to visit your website but also to subscribe. Here are a few ideas on how to increase subscribers to your site.
1. Make the subscription button prominent. Put the RSS button above the fold. Make the button BIG or put a lot of space around it. The point is to make it very visible.
2. Put subscription information at the bottom of each post. A viewer who reads an interesting post may just click on a link to your RSS feed subscription page under that post. They like the post, they like your site. Make the most of this moment; don't expect them to search for the RSS link. But make this link small so it doesn't compete with the post.
3. Focus on one subject, one particular topic. Viewers come to your site because you have content that interests them. They are more likely to stay-and subscribe-if all your content, not just one article, interests them.
4. Offer special content that only RSS subscribers can access. Entice readers so they will subscribe in order to see the exclusive content. Make sure the special content has value or you'll lose your subscribers.
5. Use Google Analytics to track your subscribers so you know what type of traffic you are getting and how they are getting to your site. This way you will know where to focus your recruitment efforts.
6. Consider using Feedburner, which is an RSS utility that adds value to your website's feed before sending it out.
7. Not everyone agrees on this, but full feed (showing the entire article) is probably better for getting subscribers than partial feed (showing a teaser).
8. Run a contest for RSS subscribers only. Offer a prize related to your niche. Sure, some folks will unsubscribe after the contest, but others will stay with you.
9. Offer a free gift to new subscribers-perhaps an ebook or video in your niche.
10. Be creative. Come up with new ideas for enticing readers to your site. Then give them something special so they will subscribe.
Getting subscribers is important. Keeping subscribers is crucial. RSS appeals to people who like to keep up with the latest news and information on topics they care about. Offer them useful and interesting content on current happenings in your niche. Keep your content fresh. And pay attention to your subscribers' posts to find out what they care about. Remember, they can unsubscribe at any time-it's up to you to keep them.
RSS helps you increase traffic to your site and distribute your news and information. It's a valuable way to increase the number of people who subscribe to your website.